2019 Regional Manager
About SPARK Schools
SPARK Schools is a network of affordable independent schools implementing blended and personalized learning for students in South Africa. SPARK Schools is a high growth, mission driven, and innovative organisation looking for ambitious people to join our team.
Reports To: Head of Schools
The Regional Manager supports and manages Principals in their assigned region of the SPARK Schools network in a consistent, well-informed manner leading to high performance leadership that results in outstanding student and staff performance. Regional Managers work closely with the network’s School Operations and Learning Model teams to ensure excellent service to the schools and network-wide alignment in decision-making and execution.
Regional Managers are integral to the SPARK Schools “culture” and our commitment to rigorous, engaging learning experiences for our scholars.
- Manage and Coach Principals
- Work with and through Principals and school leadership teams to drive student achievement and productive, positive school cultures.
- Use a regular coaching cycle to build strong relationships with Principals that enable the leaders to meet their performance targets and model effective coaching to their own school leadership team.
- Use research-based coaching practices in coaching leaders and work with the Head of Schools to codify SPARK Schools coaching and management practices.
- Use leadership tools and surveys to best assess leader strengths and areas of growth.
- Use student achievement data to determine goals with each leader and monitor progress toward goals.
- Hold Principals to academic, professional, ethical, and other performance standards.
- Develop and Implement Professional and Leadership Development
- Collaborate with fellow Regional Managers, the Learning Model Team, and the Head of Schools to plan and implement leadership development opportunities for current and future school leaders.
- Advise Principals as they coach and develop Assistant Principals and School Operations Managers, to ensure the strength of SPARK Schools’ internal leadership pipeline.
- Assume Accountability for Student Achievement and School Operations
- Maintain a regular schedule of school visits to monitor and evaluate instruction and operations.
- Collaborate with fellow Regional Managers to develop and implement standards, assessment, and performance metrics for instruction and operations.
- Ensure alignment of operational and instructional practices across the network and in line with SPARK Schools practices, policies, and core values.
- Serve as a primary liaison between teams in SPARK Support and school leadership, to ensure clear and distinct lines of communication and accountability.
- Attend coaching 1:1s with the Head of Schools and regular team meetings with the Regional Managers.
- Participate actively in staff development opportunities as a member of the SPARK Schools team.
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all SPARK Schools events and to all stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Required Experience
- At least 3 years experience leading a team with evidence of high achievement
- At least 1 year managing other managers, whether in education or business
- Experience and practice with labour laws
- Required Qualifications
- English language fluency
- Police clearance certificate
- Completed Bachelors degree or higher, preferably in education or business
- Preferred: SACE registration
- Grit: Persistence through challenges.
- Excellence: A track record of high expectations personally and professionally.
- Mission and Vision Alignment: Understanding of and passion for the SPARK Schools mission to provide excellent education at an affordable cost.
- Self Reflection: Finding the capacity to bring your best self to challenges and opportunities.
Values: Service, Persistence, Achievement, Responsibility, Kindness
Commensurate with experience
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Rosebank, Johannesburg
- Group Life Cover