School Compliance Manager
SPARK Schools SPARK Schools is a social impact disruptor and is leading change in the education space through its network of affordable private schools. The SPARK Schools network provide transformational education innovation through Africa’s first blended learning model, which elevates student achievement and provides the tools teachers need to serve their students effectively.
The blended learning model, which combines classroom teaching and online instruction, allows teachers to anticipate student needs and equips schools to provide personalized education at an affordable cost. SPARK Schools is pioneering this transformative education model to ensure the accessibility of university and careers for all.
SPARK Schools is a high growth, mission and values-driven entrepreneurial organisation, operating 20 primary schools and one high school and serving over 10,500 families. We are looking for dynamic people to join our team.
Purpose of Role:
The School Compliance Manager is responsible for ensuring that all of the network’s schools are fully compliant with the law, guidelines, and regulations governing independent schools in South Africa. In addition to obtaining all relevant registrations and ensuring ongoing timely submission of compliance reporting, the School Compliance Manager informs and advises staff on the rules and guidelines set out by the government and other regulatory bodies. The School Compliance Manager is the steward of relationships with the departments and regulatory organisations to which SPARK Schools is responsible, as well as the officials therein.
Reports To: Chief of Schools
- To register all schools with the relevant provincial Department of Education, including coordinating the procurement of property compliance documentation with the Property Team and municipal bodies.
- To ensure that all schools are accredited through Umalusi for operation and assessment.
- To maintain positive, proactive relationships with provincial and district officials, ensuring they are kept informed and up-to-date on relevant matters.
- To update school registration, in case of address change, name change, or other required updates.
- To lead the team responsible for SA-SAMS, CEMIS, and Valistractor submissions to district offices.
- To uphold and maintain all statutory documents and records related to schools compliance.
- To identify, investigate and correct any potential compliance risks associated with the operations of our schools.
- To work with the Systems team on technology adoption that will streamline tasks reporting and processes (e.g. robotic process automation).
- To prioritize data privacy and integrity being by working closely with the product owners of our information systems within the business to ensure the quality of data being reported on is flowing through from the relevant system, and, as and when regulations change, keeping them informed of the needs so that relevant enhancements can take place.
- To inform and advise the faculty, staff and students of all relevant rules and guidelines set by the government and other regulatory bodies.
- To be knowledgeable of all rules and regulations and stay current with updates and revisions.
- To develop, initiate, maintain, and revise policies and procedures for the general operation of the schools compliance program and its related activities to prevent illegal, unethical and improper conduct.
- To assist with and attend to documentation in connection with administrative matters, including compliance submissions to district officials.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A degree in a related field.
- A paralegal practice award, certificate, diploma or higher diploma OR
- a legal secretary certificate or diploma OR a law degree.
- 2-3 years of experience in the field of compliance.
- Familiarity and experience with school registrations through the Department of Education, as well as quality assurance procedures through Umalusi.
Skills and Mindset :
- Strong leadership, organisation, communication and relationship management skills.
- Must have the ability to maintain and build new relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to handle difficult situations with tact and diplomacy but achieve business objectives.
- Must be results-oriented and able to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Excellent understanding of business operations
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to analyse and solve problems.
- Role model and mentor for junior members of the team
- Displays grit, high level of excellence, is mission & vision aligned and displays a high level of self-reflection (GEMS).
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Rosebank, Johannesburg, South Africa