School Operations Manager - SPARK Centurion
About SPARK Schools
SPARK Schools is a network of affordable private schools implementing Africa’s first blended learning model for primary school students in South Africa. SPARK Schools provide transformational education innovation through our blended learning model, which elevates student achievement and provides the tools teachers need to serve their students effectively.
The blended learning model, which combines classroom teaching and online instruction, allows teachers to anticipate student needs and equips schools to provide personalized education at an affordable cost. SPARK Schools is pioneering this transformative education model to ensure the accessibility of university and careers for all.
SPARK Schools is a high growth, mission and values driven and highly entrepreneurial organisation; and is looking for dynamic people to join our team.
Reports To: Principal
Purpose of Role:
The School Operations Manager drives student achievement in the SPARK Schools network by ensuring that their school operates smoothly, efficiently, and to a consistent standard of excellence.
The School Operations Manager is integral to the SPARK Schools “culture” and our commitment to rigorous, engaging learning experiences for our scholars.
- Implement school wide systems and procedures (for example, arrivals, dismissals, cover timetables and aftercare timetables) that facilitate student achievement and align with SPARK
- Schools network wide best practice.
- Facilitate professional development for the operational staff on the implementation of schoolwide systems, as well as personal and professional competencies. This includes designing and facilitating biweekly group sessions and individual one-on-one coaching sessions, as well as arranging for individual professional growth opportunities.
- Oversee the office manager’s administration of the student information system and student records.
- Ensure aftercare attendance and late pick up is tracked accurately and submitted to billing on time.
- Organise and maintain relationships with extramural vendors.
- Line manage school site operational staff (office manager, facilities and maintenance staff, supervisors, and security guard), including regular performance reviews.
- Manage all school inventory, including fixed assets (technology and furniture), stationery, cleaning supplies, and other resources.
- Conduct weekly asset check of all Chromebooks for scholars and staff radios.
- Conduct monthly stock taking and update asset register.
- Oversee the maintenance of the school facility, including coordinating efforts amongst facilities and maintenance staff, SPARK Schools Support staff, outside vendors and suppliers, and security services.
- Maintain a daily schedule of facilities and grounds walk-arounds and observations, including lunch, break and aftercare observations.
- Coordinate with Procurement team at SPARK Support for fixed assets and consumables.
- Manage the site specific and aftercare budgets.
- Participate in the selection of new school-based staff.
- Onboard new personnel.
- Understand and enforce network-wide policies and compliance requirements.
- Lead the site specific crisis management team.
- Understand and implement SPARK Schools crisis management strategy.
- Attend to sick or injured children and liaise with parents/guardians about their children.
- Attend to sick or injured staff and liaise with emergency contacts.
- Attend coaching 1:1s with the school principal and regular team meetings with the principal and assistant principal(s).
- Participate actively in staff development opportunities as a member of the SPARK Schools team.
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all SPARK Schools events and to all stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- English language fluency.
- Police clearance certificate.
- Grade 12 certificate.
- 3-4 year degree.
- First aid training.
- Preferred: experience managing or working with primary school-aged children.
- Preferred: experience in operations, administration, procurement, project management, or facilities management.
- Preferred: Previous experience leading a team.
- Required: Experience and practice with labour laws.
Skills and Mindset
- Grit: Persistence through challenges.
- Excellence: A track record of high expectations personally and professionally.
- Mission and Vision Alignment: Understanding of and passion for the SPARK Schools mission to provide excellent education at an affordable cost.
- Self Reflection: Finding the capacity to bring your best self to challenges and opportunities.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Position Type: Full Time
Location: SPARK Centurion
Closing date - Sunday 19 May 2019
SPARK Schools may expire the posting of this advertisement at their own discretion.
Kindly note that should you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date please consider your application unsuccessful.