Senior Developer - Team Lead
About SPARK Schools:
SPARK Schools is a social impact disruptor and is leading change in the education space through its network of affordable private schools. The SPARK Schools network provide transformational education innovation through Africa’s first blended learning model, which elevates student achievement and provides the tools teachers need to serve their students effectively.
The blended learning model, which combines classroom teaching and online instruction, allows teachers to anticipate student needs and equips schools to provide personalized education at an affordable cost. SPARK Schools is pioneering this transformative education model to ensure the accessibility of university and careers for all.
SPARK Schools is a high growth, mission and values-driven entrepreneurial organisation, operating 20 primary schools and one high school and serving over 10,500 families. We are looking for dynamic people to join our team.
Reports To: Systems and Technology Manager:
Purpose of Role:
SPARK Schools is looking for a Senior Developer with broad and deep technical knowledge across technologies, best practices and products. You will need to use your expertise and leadership skills primarily focused within cloud computing to design scalable solutions using cloud platforms, as well as lead a team of developers using best development practices and operating procedures to deliver against business needs. The successful applicant will also be required to give input to new system selection processes as well as implementation methodologies and frameworks.
Technologies of focus are the Google Cloud Platform (and other cloud platforms if needed), Salesforce, SQL databases, client / server application support and networking at this point, however the role will require input into the technology architecture of SPARK Schools as the network grows and the needs of business become more complex.
SPARK Schools is currently rolling out a core enterprise system strategy and needs the candidate to lead the technical implementation of this. We are looking for someone who is eager to experiment and innovate in the education technology field and is looking to use new technologies in exciting ways to benefit our network.
- Provide subject matter expertise around technical infrastructure and applications.
- Define the detailed system and integration architecture.
- Define the business case for solutions, design the solution to help prototype and develop the SPARK Schools new environment, and guide the solution through to production deployment.
- Demonstrate thought leadership in cloud computing across multiple channels and become a trusted adviser to decision makers.
- Lead the Systems Development team and ensure that the team's deliverables are of a high standard and meet the business requirements.
- Ensure that code is maintained in repositories, and implement and manage a Continuous Integration (CI) approach.
- Up-skill and support the development team and accomplish programming project requirements by coaching programmers.
- Meet programming standards by following production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; identifying work process improvements; implementing new technology.
- Plan programming projects by confirming the program objective and specifications with internal business clients.
- Arrange program specifications by confirming logical sequence and flowcharts; researching and employing established operations.
- Verify program operation by confirming tests and taking remedial steps in the case of test failure.
- Prepare programmers by providing educational opportunities.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks.
Skills and Mindsets:
- Experience in the business technology market, and expertise working closely with teams in cloud computing or related technical fields.
- Deep understanding of the current state of infrastructure automation, continuous integration/deployment, SQL/NoSQL, security, networking, and cloud-based delivery models.
- Can communicate complex technical concepts in an approachable way for broad audiences, empowering them with memorable and useful information.
- Broad and extensive knowledge of the software development process and its technologies.
- Proven history of delivering complex development projects.
- Strong knowledge of user interface and UX design principles, ideally having worked with front-end frameworks such as Material Design, Polymer and Angular.
- Strong knowledge of HTML technologies and web frameworks.
- Experience with both SQL, NoSQL and in-memory database design, creation and maintenance.
- SPARK Schools does not do servers - Essential to have experience with cloud technologies such as Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure or AWS.
- Have worked with JIRA tools and agile project methodologies.
- Ability to participate as a team member and achieve agreed objectives.
- Self-motivated with a strong drive to deliver on time. Must be results-oriented and able to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Displays grit, high level of excellence, is mission & vision aligned and displays a high level of self-reflection (GEMS).
BSc / BEng degree in Computer Science or related software engineering field, or equivalent practical work experience in a software / systems engineering position.
4 years of experience in all aspects of cloud computing (infrastructure, storage, platforms and data) and working with a variety of technology systems, designing solutions, or developing business applications.
Advantageous Technical Experience:
- Salesforce Apex development experience.
- ERP software experience.
- Cloud-based Integration / Middleware layer and related integration approaches.
- Rapid application prototyping and development using cloud tools.
- Student Information System experience.
- Cloud based Data Warehouse.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Rosebank, Johannesburg, South Africa
SPARK Schools may expire the posting of this advertisement at their own discretion.
Kindly note that should you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date please consider your application unsuccessful.