Primary School Assistant Principal
About SPARK Schools
SPARK Schools is a network of affordable private schools implementing Africa’s first blended learning model for primary school students in South Africa. SPARK Schools provide transformational education innovation through our blended learning model, which elevates student achievement and provides the tools teachers need to serve their students effectively.
The blended learning model, which combines classroom teaching and online instruction, allows teachers to anticipate student needs and equips schools to provide personalized education at an affordable cost. SPARK Schools is pioneering this transformative education model to ensure the accessibility of university and careers for all.
SPARK Schools is a high growth, mission and values driven and highly entrepreneurial organisation; and is looking for dynamic people to join our team.
Reports To: Principal
Purpose of Role:
The Assistant Principal drives student achievement as an instructional leader by providing excellent instructional coaching and professional development to benefit classroom instruction and the Learning Lab. The Assistant Principal supports the Principal in providing teachers, blended learning facilitators, and PE coaches the training and support necessary to be highly effective, professional educators.
The Assistant Principal is integral to the SPARK Schools “culture” and our commitment to rigorous, engaging learning experiences for our scholars
- Ensure the continual professional development of our educators by coaching members of the instructional staff to the successful completion of the goals set in their individualised professional growth plans. This includes designing and facilitating weekly professional development sessions for the whole faculty, as well as arranging for individual professional growth opportunities.
- Support student achievement by setting clear and high expectations for excellent teaching in all content areas. Maintain a regular schedule of observations in all learning spaces and observation review meetings with educators to ensure that they can successfully plan instruction, execute instruction, and implement SPARK Schools’ culture and behaviour management techniques.
- Implement the network’s rigorous curriculum, which aligns to and extends the South African national curriculum.
- Implement online curriculum and small group tutoring in the Learning Lab that aligns to and extends what is taught by classroom teachers.
- Facilitate an assessment and data analysis cycle that allows instructional staff to analyse student performance and identify areas for targeted instruction.
- Collaborate with school leadership team to manage instructional staff, including facilitating termly and final evaluations.
- Participate in the selection of new school-based personnel.
- Responsible for the onboarding of instructional staff members.
- Define and share information about network-wide policies and procedures to parents, students, staff and community.
- Implement disciplinary policies and procedures.
- Participate actively in staff development opportunities as a member of the SPARK Schools team.
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all SPARK Schools events and to all stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- English language fluency.
- Police clearance certificate.
- Grade 12 Certificate.
- Completed B.Ed or PGCE degree.
- SACE registration.
- Previous experience managing or working with primary school-aged children.
- At least 2 years of excellent classroom instruction.
- Previous experience leading a team.
- Experience and practice with labour laws.
Skills and Mindset
- Grit: Persistence through challenges.
- Excellence: A track record of high expectations personally and professionally.
- Mission and Vision Alignment: Understanding of and passion for the SPARK Schools mission to provide excellent education at an affordable cost.
- Self Reflection: Finding the capacity to bring your best self to challenges and opportunities.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Dependent on school
Advert closes - 15 February 2019 at 17:00.