2019 Primary School Principal - SPARK Cresta
About SPARK Schools
SPARK Schools is a network of affordable private schools implementing Africa’s first blended learning model for primary school students in South Africa. SPARK Schools provide transformational education innovation through our blended learning model, which elevates student achievement and provides the tools teachers need to serve their students effectively.
The blended learning model, which combines classroom teaching and online instruction, allows teachers to anticipate student needs and equips schools to provide personalized education at an affordable cost. SPARK Schools is pioneering this transformative education model to ensure the accessibility of university and careers for all.
SPARK Schools is a high growth, mission and values driven and highly entrepreneurial organisation; and is looking for dynamic people to join our team.
Reports To: Regional Manager
Purpose of Role:
The Principal drives student achievement by leading a team of excellent staff to prepare SPARK scholars for university and beyond. The Principal sets a rigorous vision for student achievement and implements strategic steps to lead staff, families, students, and the greater community to fulfill that vision. The Principal collaborates with the Assistant Principal(s) and School Operations Manager to uphold high expectations for school culture, student achievement, and professional development.
The Principal drives decision making within the SPARK Schools model in terms of the instructional program and school operations to ensure that every SPARK scholar is academically successful and an excellent representative of the SPARK core values. The Principal is integral to the SPARK Schools “culture” and our commitment to rigorous, engaging learning experiences for our scholars.
- Implement a highly rigorous and engaging instructional program that promotes content mastery, creative problem solving, and character development, which is consistent with SPARK Schools’ mission and vision.
- Use quantitative (assessment) and qualitative (anecdotal) data to drive decision-making and instruction at the school.
- Create and maintain a school culture that values high achievement, strong character, and love for learning.
- Set ambitious goals, academically and otherwise, and holds staff and students accountable for achieving those results.
- Manage student behaviour and oversees the implementation of individualised plans for students who repeatedly do not meet SPARK Schools’ behavioural expectations.
- Promote a culture of self -reflection and continual improvement of effectiveness in staff.
- Facilitate the professional development of SPARK staff by keeping a consistent weekly observation and coaching cycle and collaborating with SPARK Support staff to provide relevant weekly professional development sessions.
- Conduct termly evaluations of SPARK staff to nurture their professional growth and leadership capacities.
- Facilitate a high-achieving work environment where staff feel genuinely valued and supported.
- Build relationships with all relevant stakeholders, including parents, families, and the greater community, and leverages these relationships to increase student achievement.
- Lead termly and monthly school-wide community events, leveraging the capacity of the school leadership team, teachers, and active parents for support.
- Manage the Assistant Principal(s) and facilitates their leadership development in the context of SPARK’s network-wide leadership development program.
- Assist in the preparation and management of budgets with the School Operations Manager.
- Participate in the selection of new school based personnel.
- Responsible for the onboarding of all new staff members.
- Define and share information about policies and procedures to parents, students, staff and community.
- Implement disciplinary policies and procedures.
- Participate actively in staff development opportunities as a member of the SPARK Schools team.
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all SPARK Schools events and to all stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- English language fluency.
- Police clearance certificate.
- Grade 12 Certificate.
- Completed B.Ed or PGCE degree.
- SACE registration.
- Previous experience managing or working with primary school-aged children.
- At least 3-4 years of excellent classroom instruction.
- Previous experience leading a team, preferably in a school context.
- Experience and practice with labour laws.
Skills and Mindset
- Grit: Persistence through challenges.
- Excellence: A track record of high expectations personally and professionally.
- Mission and Vision Alignment: Understanding of and passion for the SPARK Schools mission to provide excellent education at an affordable cost.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Dependent on school
Closing date - 18 June 2019 at 17:00
SPARK Schools may expire the posting of this advertisement at their own discretion.
Kindly note that should you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date please consider your application unsuccessful.